[Sidefx-houdini-list] OT. Workstation Hardware Qs

Rangi Sutton rangi.sutton at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 22:52:29 EST 2010

On 6 February 2010 12:51, JUSTIN REEVES <jreeves16 at msn.com> wrote:

> i5 does have hyper threading but upon further research found that you need
> everything HT capable CPU, MB chipset, BIOS, OS , and its main usage is
> designed for servers, multi app stuff, cloud computing...Not so much use for
> a workstation unless you like a bunch of apps running while you run a 3D
> program but I dont do that.
> The i7 dual cores are only Mobile Processors.
>
> Looks to me the AMD has more bang for the $ but I have only had 3 AMD
> machines out of the 10 computers Ive had and had problems with 2 out of the
> three, but Im not thrown yet.
>  Only plus I can see for the price on a Intel is the new Giga Transfers on
> the FSB, but I dont think the FSB being that much faster would out way the
> CPU speed for equal $.
>
> Im really leery of a Quadro card, I saw a review from a customer using
> Solidworks say that they had a Quadro FX580, that outperformed a Geforce
> GTX275, I know the cards are way different it by design, just sucks to not
> know at what point does the Geforce card outperform the Quadro in speed, I
> know it wont in image quality just by design.

If you're building budget 3d workstations definetely go with GeForce, not
Quadro. Benefit bang for buck is very low, and you could be spending the
money on more other stuff... RAM! Have seen some stability issues with
GeForce lately, but, that's computers for you.

i7's do work great, when I last researched (a few months ago) were coming
out on top on 3D benchmarks at the price point. Could be the FSB
improvements...

If you get a 6 DIMM mobo then you can up the RAM to 12Gb using the price
point 2Gb DIMMs, which is a pretty usable amount of RAM for not much $$s...
At least that's the story in aus..

If you're going down the linux path, get intel chipset mobo (NIC especially)
and you should be laughing.

 That's what I reckon anyways ... ;)

r.