[Sidefx-houdini-list] OT. Workstation Hardware Qs

JUSTIN REEVES jreeves16 at msn.com
Fri Feb 5 21:51:12 EST 2010

i5 does have hyper threading but upon further research found that you need everything HT capable CPU, MB chipset, BIOS, OS , and its main usage is designed for servers, multi app stuff, cloud computing...Not so much use for a workstation unless you like a bunch of apps running while you run a 3D program but I dont do that.
The i7 dual cores are only Mobile Processors.

Looks to me the AMD has more bang for the $ but I have only had 3 AMD machines out of the 10 computers Ive had and had problems with 2 out of the three, but Im not thrown yet.
  Only plus I can see for the price on a Intel is the new Giga Transfers on the FSB, but I dont think the FSB being that much faster would out way the CPU speed for equal $.

Im really leery of a Quadro card, I saw a review from a customer using Solidworks say that they had a Quadro FX580, that outperformed a Geforce GTX275, I know the cards are way different it by design, just sucks to not know at what point does the Geforce card outperform the Quadro in speed, I know it wont in image quality just by design.

I remember when Nvidia first got big I had a Oxygen VX1 and decided to upgrade to a Geforce4 Ti4600 the speed was quite faster but the Image quality was better on my VX1, these machines are going to be used for CAM design, and milling machine path rendering and the video quality has to be as good as it gets even at the sacrifice of some speed, and that pushes me towards Quadro.

(Quadro vs Geforce from Nvidia)
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CAkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nvidia.com%2Fobject%2Fquadro_geforce.html&ei=TtVsS8eJOI64M9GQsdAE&usg=AFQjCNESkCnpBGLD_XkAyUuFJ4Ky6W-D_g

Justin Reeves