[Sidefx-houdini-list] OT. Workstation Hardware Qs

craigleehoffman at aol.com craigleehoffman at aol.com
Fri Feb 5 19:47:01 EST 2010

I don't think the Core i5 hyperthreads (although I could be wrong on this).  I think only the Core i7's hyperthread.  What makes it even more confusing is I think that Core i7 no longer necessarily means "Quad-Core" due to some changes in the branding- there are some hyperthreading dual core CPUs in some laptops that are called "Core i7".  Again, I could be wrong on this- but make sure you get what you think you are getting.

Also, I think Hyperthreading is useless to Houdini now, and may not do much of anything on Linux, but my feeling is it might be a useful thing in the future as Houdini gets more threaded and Windows7 does a better job with threading, etc.  I know it does make a difference in some 3D renderers.

But hyperthreading does help in a lot of other things you might be using your PC for.

-Craig