[Sidefx-houdini-list] OT. Workstation Hardware Qs

JUSTIN REEVES jreeves16 at msn.com
Thu Feb 4 21:10:46 EST 2010

Hi boys and girls, Ive been out of the computer loop for some years now. I need to build a couple $1000 (already have monitors)3D workstations for a company for a new job I have, their computers are dinosaurs. Need some info on whats new in the world for a 3D station, havent built a machine in 5-7 years. Couple questions and any input helpful as usual.

Is a Quadro card worth the money, what card is a better option for the price a Quadro, a GT###, or a couple 9800GT,s in SLI?
Is SLI reliable enough?
What about price and reliability of Intel VS. AMD i noticed a Phenom II X4 3.4Gig MB and CPU are cheap, is the equivalent Intel priced MB/CPU a better or worse bang for the buck, also reliability? Friend tells me to buy i7 but price difference is drastic, is it worth it?

RAM, what to look for for decent RAM, name brands, speeds.....

HD, is it reliable to run striped drives for the speed increase or is the speed difference not worth the reliability.

These are just some of the question that came up so far, any information would help, Ive been out of touch with the computer/3D world for a while now, hell since Houdini7, OUCH!

Thanks again

Justin Reeves