[Sidefx-houdini-list] ray sop fetching attribute values that dont exist.

Robert Kelly isstuff at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 17:39:25 EST 2010

I am wondering if the ray sop can be trusted....

I have a ray sop fetching attributes from some geometry but sometimes
it returns values that are not there to be returned.

I have an int attribute called curve and it is on 7 tubes the
attribute goes from 1 to 7 according to the curve that each tube was
made from. The value is never zero. so i take that geometry append a
attributeCreate set the curve int value to -1. I put it into the first
input of a ray sop and the geometry before the attributeCreate into
the second input; I set the bias so it dosen't just get the same point
it came from... i set the ray sop to return the curve attribute that
it hits and the dist value.

So i am getting Zero for some of the curve attributes, there are
plenty of -1 values for all the points that miss, and some values from
1-7 for others that hit but some have 0 as the value. What could cause
this?

Any ideas?
Robert Kelly