[Sidefx-houdini-list] Microbevel?

Erkan Özgür Yılmaz eoyilmaz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 17:43:45 EDT 2010

I found the original patent documentation from Hakan Anderson (the famous
mentalray shader developer)...

I'm still reading and trying to harvest some information about the shader.
As far as I see it's like that:

1- find a tangent vector which is perpendicular to the shading normal (it is
kinda easy, have done it before a couple of times)
2- use the tangent vector and start rotating it around the normal
3- for 6 equal angled or evenly spaced directions try to search for other
surface points within a distance R (bevel radius, and the search can be done
with a rayHit vop)
4- if you find a point and it is within R, then calculate a weight
5- multiply the weight and the shading normal of that point and get a
weighted normal (the formula of the weight is given in the patent)
6- sum up all the 6 found weighted normals
7- add them to the original N, then normalize N

this is what I get from the patent documentation...

here is the link to the patent site ( it is an OCR text, if you are
interested try to download the pdf version):
http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?IA=US2007076563&DISPLAY=DOCS

I'm trying what I explained before, but what I get is irrelevant. I think my
problem is about spaces (object, current, world etc.)

will inform if I get anything

cheers

E.Ozgur Yilmaz
Lead Technical Director