[Sidefx-houdini-list] Maya as a Houdini Modeling tool...

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 20:39:23 EDT 2010

I haven´t seen what is under the geometry OBJ, but probably one way to
do it is having an exporter in May to bgeo that runs in a different
thread and saves geo in a temp file.
then you just only need to use openport in both apps to use  tcp
connection to tell houdini when to reload the temp file.
Just guessing ....
Anyway the tool looksrelly cool but, like Francois said, I would like
to see it working with heavy production ready models.
My 2 cents

2010/8/27 Francois Duchesneau <sidefx at trinix.ca>:
> I guess at low level a guru developer could write something that writes
> into memory and access it on the other software... maybe it doesn't make
> sense at all too :)
>
> But if it's fast this way with lots of polygon, I want it too because I
> still miss some very basic modeling editing tool in Houdini.
>
> François
>
>> There's stuff you can do in the custom event loop in each package to
>> sync them like that via python. That bogs down for big geometry though
>> as you suspect correctly. Maybe there's something more powerful going
>> on for the geometry sharing. I know it's been done at a couple of
>> places in the past ...
>>
>> On 27 August 2010 15:02, Francois Duchesneau <sidefx at trinix.ca> wrote:
>>> Anyone knows how it works? Does it send an array of points and their
>>> vertex connections over a tcp port or something?
>>>
>>> I guess when you want to freeze it in Houdini you can just lock the
>>> node?
>>>
>>> I'm curious to know what kind of interaction we have when both are on
>>> the
>>> same machine with let's say between 50000 and 100000 points?
>>>
>>> François

>> --

Un saludo
Best Regards