[Sidefx-houdini-list] Linear Workflow

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 12:37:51 EDT 2010

Just to add to this briefly, since we've been dealing with it for a while now:

We have our own Texture VOP that has an sRGB->Linear toggle, since
it's a PITA to convert all your 100's of textures to linear, easier to
just assume your textures are sRGB and have the shader convert them.

We use the "formula" (it doesn't really need to be a LUT, at least in
our experience) not the simple .4545, thought that's usually adequate
by the time you do your lighting tweaks etc.

The biggest problem IMO is that SESI doesn't support linear workflow
in VOPs, meaning they don't have the sRGB->Linear toggle available in
their native nodes. I'm hoping this will be corrected soon :) Whereas
Maya 2011 has a "full" (yet typically closed and confusing) linear
workflow now for Maya/Mental Ray.

Cheers,

Peter B