[Sidefx-houdini-list] Linear Workflow

Andy Nicholas andy at andynicholas.com
Wed Aug 25 14:52:54 EDT 2010

Hi guys,
We've just started a job in Houdini and we're trying to use a linear
colour workflow. With the test I'm doing at the moment, I don't have any
textures, it's all pure lighting and shader models. I've got the Color
Correction gamma setting at 2.2 which I believe is the correct setting as
it visually matches what we do in XSI when we enable colour management.

The problem is that we're having a few issues with generating glossy
reflections because noise that wasn't visible before, now shows up a
treat, even with a large number of samples.

This is partly because the objects I'm reflecting are quite small, so in a
way, I'm not surprised I'm getting some noise. The issue is that before
using colour management, this wouldn't have been visible. On a black
background typically some of the noisy pixel values are only at around
0.0002, but they still show up as little grey splats on the image.

I've been doing a few tests, and while I get noisier results in mental ray
(using XSI with colour management enabled), it generally isn't as bad as
I'm seeing in Mantra.

So my simple question is, have any of you guys run into similar problems,
and if so, what strategies did you use to work around this issue? (or
alternatively, are we just doing something stupid?!)

Thanks,

Andy