[Sidefx-houdini-list] Rendering poligonal lines as hair/fur

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 06:44:07 EDT 2010

2010/8/18 houdini <houdini at retrovertigo.nl>:
>  You can add a width attribute to the l-systems and mantra will pick it up and
> render your l-system with thickness. As far as i know you don't have to do
> anything with fur...
Thanks Hans.
I am getting some problems rendering in the IPR:
I have tried it and the render got stick in the Building Octree stage.
My width are in the order of e-1 and I am not using rayttracing at
all, just micropolygon render with a spot light without shadows.
I have tried to add the vm_kdememfactor render attribute but doesn't helps.
Seems that for any reason the IPR is trying all the time to make the
octree and it stucks on this stage.

On the other hand rendering to Mantra is rally fast

> Hans
>
> On 08/18/2010 08:32 PM, Pablo Giménez wrote:
>> Hello.
>> I have a bunch of geometry created from lots of lsystem copied to  a
>> set of template points.
>> Currently I a mconverting them to opligons with some volume using the
>> PolyWire, which is getting slow and heavy in term os memory, so
>> looking to ways of optimize the process I was wondering if it is
>> possible to render these lines/curves created from lsystems as hair,
>> similar to what you can do in prman. You als oget the width parameter
>> from the lsystems so looks to me as a good place to try fur rendering.
>> I have been looking at the fur workflow in the help and seems you have
>> to use the fur mantra procedural to render fur. It is just possible to
>> tell to Mantra to threat my poly lines as curves and use the width
>> attribute to control the width of the fur curves?
>>
>> Thanks

Un saludo
Best Regards
Pablo Giménez