[Sidefx-houdini-list] noise() different in vex and in expression ?

Rangi Sutton rangi.sutton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 20:10:08 EDT 2010

On 17 August 2010 08:00, Vinz <ubik.lists at noos.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just continuing my study about noise in Houdini, I can't seem to find
> the equivalent in vex of a simple noise() in a point sop.
>
> With the same input, noise($TX,$TY,$TZ) in a point sop doesn't give the
> same result as noise(P) in vex.

Can't really answer you exactly... how/if those functions are different.
However, I'd just suggest you don't really need the hexpression noise()
function these days? At least, in as far as doing anything a bit
sophisticated with noise, you'd most likely end up in VEX.. across the
contexts. ie.. if you want the noise in your sop deformation to match your
noise in your displacement shader, you'd be best off to use vex for both
tasks.

Make sense?

I could of course be missing obvious use cases where you really want to use
the hexpression noise function...

r.