[Sidefx-houdini-list] Building a particle collision system

François Duchesneau sidefx at trinix.ca
Sun Aug 15 18:06:50 EDT 2010

Hi list,

I'm not satisfied with the particle collision in Houdini and I'd like to
create my own. I started to do something in Vop Pop using ray tracing
and I think it would work for static objects but it has its weakness. I
think I will need different algorithms.

I want to do something that will have stickiness, radius per particles
(In Houdini it works only with non deforming objects), random spreading,
a parameter per particles to control when a particles should stop bouncing.

I'd like to look into efficient algorithms using a bounding box maybe. I
would like also to be able to anticipate the geometry and create soft
collision like you see in a wind tunnel for a car.

Basically I'm asking for any suggestion of papers, existing tools, good
books, web links etc. I'm not a mathematician and I haven't programmed
with the HDK yet so it's possible I'll need many ressources. Also I'm
curious to know if people out there have created their own or they are
ok with what they have in Houdini. I might be interested in buying
directly something that already exist, even if it doesn't cover
everything but at least it'd be a good starting point.

If I manage to do a good job I will share it to the community so any
help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

François