[Sidefx-houdini-list] Open Source (was Alembic)

Carsten Kolve carsten at kolve.com
Tue Aug 3 21:29:18 EDT 2010

Heya,

We've been working with cortex for a little while now - and while we
barely scratched the surface I don't think there is a need to fear for
competing formats. Yes, cortex as its own format for working with
primitives, point caches etc. - but it's got a number of converters
that already support working with obj or bgeos (just points atm) as
well as multiple types of maya data. - It's by its design quite open
and extensible (think of it as a glue between processes). Just having
a quick glance at alembic it doesn't seem to be unreasonable to do at
some point something in cortex like.

mymesh = Reader.create( "/tmp/myalembicdata.abc" ).read()
mymesh['Cs'] = PrimitiveVariable(
PrimitiveVariable.Interpolation.Varying, myColorData )
mymesh.render( renderer )

which already works fine with
"/tmp/mynativecortexdata.cob" or "/tmp/mywavefrontdata.obj"

Alembic having their mission statement (what it does and what it
doesn't do) clearly defined helps a lot to.

Cheers,
Carsten

// carsten kolve - www.kolve.com