[Sidefx-houdini-list] Flamethrower effect help?

François Duchesneau sidefx at trinix.ca
Sun Aug 1 22:45:01 EDT 2010

I cannot really help regarding Pyro but I'm about to create a fire
explosion shot in slow motion and I will do my first R&D with particles
with a Particle Fluid Surface followed by a deformation based on the
normal. On this you apply a shader where the opacity is driven by the
facing ratio. The smoke is actually the same simulation and surface as
the fire but you use only the alpha in comp and tint it with a black color.

You can have a look on a test I did at home. www.trinix.ca and go under
the demo section to the fire skull.

It may not be a good way to go for a flame thrower but it can give ideas
maybe to complement your main effect or just the smoke etc. Maybe I'm
wrong to take that path but the reason why I want to try it this way is
to have more control. You can more easily shape the fire I think.

François