[Sidefx-houdini-list] Forward Kinematics in Houdini

Edward Lam edward at sidefx.com
Fri Apr 30 13:16:45 EDT 2010

Pablo Giménez wrote:

> Another thing, what is the different between InverseKin CHOP and IKSolver.
> The performance is the same?
 > When is better to use one or the other?

The IKSolver is meant to work with mocap markers where each bone can
reach for an arbitrary number of markers. So it's not really comparable.
For traditional character rigs, use the InverseKin CHOP.

> And finally using InverseKin it doesnt explicitelly overrides nothing in the
> bones parameters, so I guess it is puting the rotation transforms in the
> bone's pretransform????

The bone object has a "Kinematic Solver" parameter that indicates the
path to the InverseKin CHOP to use for its rotations when computing its
local transform. By doing so, this frees the Bone's regular rotation
parameter for FK keyframe animation.

Regards,
-Edward