[Sidefx-houdini-list] image based fracturing

François Duchesneau sidefx at trinix.ca
Thu Apr 29 06:59:24 EDT 2010

You're right Andrew. Look out at this example file. It does just that.

http://www.trinix.ca/mhug/?page_id=12

If my memory is right, the trick I've found to make it work is to use
the Trace Sop followed by a snap in the Fuse Sop but not too strong.
Don't try to make it work completely there. Let it have many small
spaces between the junctions of surrounding pieces. With a Group Sop
create a group for "Boundary Edge" and then fuse those points only.

However you still need a texture with uniform line width so you'll have
to trace over a cheap crack texture found on the web maybe. Play with
the threshold on the Fuse Sop but you will also need to fix the texture
in some spots too.

That's my poor implementation of Blast Code but if anyone has a better
algorithm that allows a poor quality texture like Blast Code can handle,
I'd like to know.

François