[Sidefx-houdini-list] I am looking for an example of coloured smoke

Steve Tucker Steve.Tucker at Starz.com
Mon Apr 26 14:52:29 EDT 2010

I'm not entirely sure if I understand what you're asking for... but you can try taking a look at http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=150.  This has an example of emitting particles in a voxel simulation which can be used to color smoke.

 - Steve

Stephen Tucker, VFX Artist
p: 416.682.5200 x 5363  | f: 416.682.5209
Starz Media Canada Co. | 230 Richmond Street East | Toronto, ON M5A 1P4
www.starzanimation.com

-----Original Message-----
From: sidefx-houdini-list-bounces at sidefx.com [mailto:sidefx-houdini-list-bounces at sidefx.com] On Behalf Of Robert Kelly
Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2010 12:33 PM
To: sidefx houdini list
Subject: [Sidefx-houdini-list] I am looking for an example of coloured smoke

I am looking for an example of coloured smoke.....
As in R G B smoke sources, different coloured smoke bombs mixing in a
gas container. I haven't found much on the web. I will try to nut it
out my self but i am sure someone has a solid way of doing it.

For a little context I have a helicopter blowing dust up and the
compositor wants smoke with RGB colours so he can mix other colours
into the dust to add more variation in the colours of the dust
(probably 3 flavors of brown). I was thinking to have different
coloured sources of smoke on the ground, they may mix quickly into
brown smoke so it may be not what i am after. He wants the same kind
of information you get when you have a sprite render and randomly have
them choose to be red green or blue.

An idea just popped into my head ... I could stick a colour value on
my vorticles and transfer that to my gas as i render it or transfer it
to a volume first. anyone know what would be faster to work with...
the rgb sourced smoke, the smoke that coloured its self with
vorticles. If the vorticles option.. would it be faster to transfer
the colours into a volume then render it or render the volume doing a
point cloud call?

thanks

Robert.