[Sidefx-houdini-list] Inverse Disintegration

Stephen Jones stephenbjones25 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 18:17:49 EDT 2010

Hello all, I am hoping that someone out there will be able to help me solve my problem. I am trying to do the reverse of a disintegration effect, but have racked my brain for every possible solution. As most have seen sand vase disintegration by Miguel (odforce.net), I am trying to do the complete opposite. I am trying to have points start out sporadically and based on a mask going across the geometry, integrate (or come together on the surface of the geo) and stay. What is the best possible way of accomplishing this effect? My closest trials have been creating the simulation that I want, in reverse. Bake the particles out, batch rename the baked particle files so that they are running backwards when I pull them back into Houdini. This strategy hasn't been that successful, but it's the closest I've gotten. The problem with this strategy is that I can't use a RenderPOP to render my particles, because they are at the GEO level (once pulled back in), not
 the POP level. I also don't have any control over the particles once baked out. Time remapping the simulation in post won't work either, because I have camera movements that need match. Attached is the disintegrating vase that I'm using for reference. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I know that this is kind of confusing, but I don't know how else to explain it. Hope this makes sense.  Thanks Again,
Stephen
sjones at thedvigroup.com Any hip files would be most helpful as I am still trying to learn all of the ins and outs of Houdini.