[Sidefx-houdini-list] Smorganic

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 21:31:18 EDT 2010

I remembered this article about Smorganic.
After reading it and having done some similar work before in Houdini, the
main thing the people from Fusion CI is doing is just slving the lack of
deontrol in the RF mesher, basically doing stuff you can do in SOPs.
Fluid solvers can get nice results at mid scales but not a so small scales,
that´s truth, but you can get the overall motion sing SPH or grid solvers,
the trick is the look. Their main achieve is to get a smooth thin layer of
geometry from the particles created in RF. This is perfectly doable in SOP
using particles created from DOPS or even RF. I remember doing simialr stuff
some years ago in the H8 times using RF particles in Houdini to get a decent
mesh.
Then you have a plethora of tools like Particle surfacer, Smooth, Preak,
magnet, Convert, etc ... to get a nice mesh in Houdini.
Finally to get the finest and high frequency details you have displacement
shaders on your arsenal.
Voila Smorganic!
I have seen lots of amazing sims from these guys but the stuff  around
smorganinc is just marketing around some techniques to fix and massage
meshes created from particles simulated using SPH. Stuf that Houdini TDs
have been done for years.
We have been living with Smorganics and we didn´t know, Oh my godness!
My 2 cents.

Un saludo
Best Regards
Pablo Giménez