[Sidefx-houdini-list] particle formats: what is the best free/open format to go maya to houdini?

Eetu Martola eetu at iki.fi
Wed Apr 14 07:23:03 EDT 2010

On 14.4.2010 11:43, Rick Fuentealba wrote:
> Since this thread might be only for particles, I'd suggest looking at a
> custom solution, while taking a look at something like the PRT format from
> Krakatoa.

One possibility which I haven't seen mentioned yet, is to go thru the
Realflow particle format. Next Limit has official plugins for both Maya
and Houdini (and a few others) at http://www.realflow.com/plugins.htm

Mark Story used to have A Houdini Realflow plugin as well, mosty
discontinued now that Next Limit started supporting it, but for info you
might want to check
http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/6664-real-flow-houdini-sops-update/
and for sources http://sourceforge.net/projects/odforceplugins/

The format has some support for extra variables per particle.

eetu.