[Sidefx-houdini-list] particle formats: what is the best free/open format to go maya to houdini?

Rick Fuentealba ricardof at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 04:43:40 EDT 2010

Since this thread might be only for particles, I'd suggest looking at a
custom solution, while taking a look at something like the PRT format from
Krakatoa. Where you have the particle data compressed using a zlib stream.

You can find info on it at:

http://software.primefocusworld.com/software/support/krakatoa/prt_file_format.php

And another good bit of information can be found the binary alchemy website:

http://www.binaryalchemy.de/develop/shd_vol/cache_research.htm

Recently I started writing an icecache and prt import/export for Houdini and
have been having some good results with speed and file size, consideing
Houdini has zlib already included.

It shouldn't be too difficult to create your own format based on something
similar to PRT for getting data in and out of Maya for particles, since you
mainly need position, velocity, and a few other arbitrary attributes like
scale, colour(with alpha) and orientation.

GTO seems to be a very good format to look into now though.