[Sidefx-houdini-list] particle formats: what is the best free/open format to go maya to houdini?

Andrew D Lyons tstexture at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 21:14:29 EDT 2010

I could talk about gto here - but it wouldn't be representative of the
format's potential because we modified it so much and put so much
weird stuff in files (in non-Houdini friendly structures). The
performance here wouldn't be part of any canonical GTO (hopefully).
That's kind of the catch. The GTO code base on it's own is super
flexible and fast as I understand it, but that makes it very possible
to store things in ways that Houdini won't like. That's also part of
the reason why it would be good if SESI got talking to Tweak in the
short term so we can get some HDK consideration early in it's
evolution...

mdd is fantastic for static topology models. ie. animated characters
etc. No specs handy here though.

Cheers