[Sidefx-houdini-list] particle formats: what is the best free/open format to go maya to houdini?

Andrew D Lyons tstexture at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 20:58:50 EDT 2010

Yep - SESI support for gto would be good. I'd trade dxf support for
gto support any day. :)

We've run a customized and extended version of gto here. It has been
great for caching scenes (Maya and Houdini) and loading them into
Maya, Houdini or Prman. (The Renderman dso plugin makes rib writing a
snap.) It handles particles as well.

Unfortunately, the Houdini GTO HDK code here and the gto extension
libs it uses are proprietary. If SESI or someone in the community were
to create a SOP that read/wrote these things that would be great.

As much as I think FBX is good to have in the toolbox, it's a brute
force tool. It has no concept of "assets" in particular, or how they
are best represented in either package. A combination of gto and some
more sophisticated asset exchange system is needed IMHO.

Cheers