[Sidefx-houdini-list] particle formats: what is the best free/open format to go maya to houdini?

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 20:33:55 EDT 2010

I believe it's fairly easy to write a pdc (or whatever the Maya
particle cache format is) importer/exporter for Houdini, it's a simple
format from what I understand.

MDD won't work with changing point counts.

Depending on how ambitious you are, you could do a BGEO writer/reader
for Maya. Miles Green wrote one that is floating around somewhere but
sadly I don't have the link handy...

I haven't tried FBX, the more I try to use it the less I like it
though, even in Maya (the company that set the "standard") it crashes
constantly on export and is generally flaky. IMO :)

Cheers,

Peter B