[Sidefx-houdini-list] Will Ramps premote from a vopSop to an obj to a subnet happly

Rangi Sutton rangi at kanuka.com.au
Tue Apr 13 01:58:55 EDT 2010

Hey Rob,

I think I understand what your asking.. might not.

Anyway, my approach.. you create your vopsop with a ramp parameter,
inside as asset. You promote the ramp by dragging the label of the ramp
from the vopsop's parameters onto the "Existing Parameters" column of
the assets Edit Operator Type Properties window. Apply this.

That should be a live ramp link kinda deal.. you can add points and
stuff on the top level.

I haven't a clue how to apply that link to another vop. I manage it by
taking the vopnet that the ramp was promoted from, and copy and paste
that node. The new node is linked to the param. Oooh.. dirty... but gets
you there. Should work for what you describe below.

But you know what.. ramps are kinda nice and kinda not nice. Louis
recently showed me a trick to manage chf() style lookups inside of vops.
So you use the channel editor to describe your float-ramps rather than
the fidgety ramp editor.

You create an inline code vop, with "$out = ch( $channelPath, $lookup
);" as the code. Config the IO so you've got an input "lookup" float and
an input "channelPath" string, output is a "out" float. Now that's just
using a single channel to store the ramp, as per the old skool, which is
rool easy to promote.

I'll email you an asset offlist demo-ing the channel-y referency goodness.

Beers,
r.

--
Rangi Sutton                      Kanuka Studio Pty Ltd
rangi at kanuka.com.au               http://www.kanuka.com.au/