[Sidefx-houdini-list] Will Ramps premote from a vopSop to an obj to a subnet happly

Robert Kelly isstuff at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 17:02:45 EDT 2010

Hi Peeps

I am integrating a VopSop with a ramp and promoting it once to an
asset at object level then inside another Subnet asset that gets
interacted with, it has 12 of the object assets.  so....

+ main subnet asset (locked)
    + obj asset 1 (same type of asset for the siblings)
         + vop_sop_with_ramp
    + obj asset 2 (same type of asset for the siblings)
         + vop_sop_with_ramp
    + obj asset 3 (same type of asset for the siblings)
         + vop_sop_with_ramp
    + obj asset 4 (same type of asset for the siblings)
         + vop_sop_with_ramp
    + obj asset ...... up to 12

so can i promote a ramp parm from the vop sop to the object level then
have all of the obj assets read one ramp?

It always seams to turn the reference of a ramp into a bunch of ch()
references that are specifically keyed into the one time you promote
the value. Many child ramps referring to one parent ramp isn't a
smooth operation.

I could use a point sop and a chramp() expression but this makes a 130
ms operation into a 2300 ms operation and that times 12 is a big hit.
My plan B is to sample the ramp into 100 points of geometry and use
that geometry as a representation on the ramp.

if you have any ideas on a better way or something i am missing let me know.