[Sidefx-houdini-list] Some hom question

Graham Thompson captainhammy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 17:06:06 EDT 2010

1.  If you want the world space position you'll need to multiply the
position vector by the world transform of the parent object.
sopnode is an instance of hou.SopNode
point_pos = sopnode.geometry().iterPoints()[0].position()
parent_xform = sopnode.parent().worldTransfom()
world_pos = point_pos * parent_xform

2. From a mathematical standpoint you can't actually divide a vector.
To divide a vector you want to multiply it by the inverse of what you
wish to divide by.

For example. to do what you want you can just do
vec = hou.Vector3(3,3,3)
vec = vec * (1.0/3)

This performs a multiplication of your vector by the value 1/3, or 0.333.

3. If you want to delete all the geometry all you have to do is call
hou.Geometry.deletePrims(hou.Geometry.prims()).  It also gives you the
option of keeping all the points.

4. You can get geometry from input objects by going
hou.SopNode.inputs()[inputnum].geometry().  This geometry is read-only
though.  If you want to merge it into the main geometry you can call
hou.Geometry().merge(inputgeo).