[Sidefx-houdini-list] .fbx export problems (changing topology mesh)

craigleehoffman at aol.com craigleehoffman at aol.com
Mon Oct 26 14:05:10 EDT 2009

I am having problems exporting to .fbx (H10.0.374 running on Linux).  The little render window pops up, processes for a second, then goes away with no error messages or clues as to what is going wrong.

What works:
    I can export a range of frames fine to .fbx when I export only animating constant topology geometry (although sometimes it fails and I restart Houdini and then it exports fine even though I changed nothing..?!?..).

What doesn't work:
    I can't export to .fbx when I have an animating changing topology mesh (from ParticleFluidSurface SOP).  (Restarting Houdini and then trying to Export has no effect on this.)

My animating mesh is being read in via a File SOP (to minimize any computation hick-ups) and only has Normal and Velocity attributes- nothing crazy.

Are there any secrets to this?  I tried both FBX200900 and FBX200611.  Is it perhaps broken in H10.0.374?  Is there a way to get a proper error message out?

Thanks for any help.
-Craig