[Sidefx-houdini-list] Shading artifact when really close to surface

François Duchesneau sidefx at trinix.ca
Wed Oct 21 08:48:41 EDT 2009

I ran into similar issues too.

I wanted to render a pre-fractured ground with camera projection but
many artifacts were visible around the seams. After many hours of
research I tested the same in Maya and it worked so I decided to test it
with Ray Tracing in Mantra and like you the problem disappear. My
geometry had a big scale too and was also tangent to the camera. Maybe
there are some tesselation settings out there in the properties to try out.

I thought it might be an issue with micro-polygon but honestly I'd be
surprised RenderMan had the same issue. Unfortunately I don't have it to
test it.

Out of curiosity, I guess if you recreate that kind of render in a
smaller scale with a non-scaled camera you won't find any artifact. I'm
asking because one day I had to scale a whole scene including the camera
and a volume and I had to increase the volume sample a lot to make it
render at a reasonable time.

Good luck and let me know if you find anything.

François