[Sidefx-houdini-list] Get life attribute with fluid

Sebastian H. Schmidt sebastian.h.schmidt at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 8 16:48:30 EDT 2009

hey francois,

here how i would do it, ... just freestyling i have no H at my disposal at
the moment

1) create a new scalar field & name it "myLife" and maybe set its initial
value to something increadibly high
1.b) you can use a scalar-field vizualization node piped into this scalar
field to visualize the field!
2) apply this to your fluid field using the apply-data dop

3) on your fluid solver create a gas calculate node
   a) which adds the contents of the source field "source"
   b) into the destination field "myLife"
   c) the calculation method you want to use could be "min", so all the
fluid that is added comes in with a life value of something like 1
   d) what you also can do is setting the dest-(pre or post) add to your
timestep so destiny field "myLife" gets incremented each calculation step
   one thing on c) i'm not sure what happens if your source field contains
any  fields with zero as content, if that sets all the myLife to zero though
?? worth trying, maybe some kind of mask or something is arround that you
can missuse ;)
4) use an gas-advect node to advect the "myLife" Field using the "vel" -
Velocity Field

give it a try

Seb