[Sidefx-houdini-list] HDK And Windows

Drew Whitehouse drew.whitehouse at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 15:38:47 EST 2009

In my experience it's the other way around. hcustom often is the only
definitive way to work out what flags need to be used to compile with
the HDK and the makefiles are usually neglected until support gets a
nudge. And there still isn't an OSX makefile.

I've submitted an RFE for a new 'config' program in the hdk. Something
like libpng-config

$ libpng-config  --help
Usage: /usr/bin/libpng-config [OPTION] ...

Known values for OPTION are:

  --prefix        print libpng prefix
  --libdir        print path to directory containing library
  --libs          print library linking information
  --ccopts        print compiler options
  --cppflags      print pre-processor flags
  --cflags        print preprocessor flags, I_opts, and compiler options
  --I_opts        print "-I" include options
  --L_opts        print linker "-L" flags for dynamic linking
  --R_opts        print dynamic linker "-R" or "-rpath" flags
  --ldopts        print linker options
  --ldflags       print linker flags (ldopts, L_opts, R_opts, and libs)
  --static        revise subsequent outputs for static linking
  --help          print this help and exit
  --version       print version information

Then all the other tools like make, scons, cmake etc can be built in
such a way that they're more robust to HDK updates. Then hcustom
should share the same code/definitions with this tool so that it is
*always* up to date. The included makefiles could be greatly
simplified. Would this be of use to other HDK developers ? Maybe you
should contact support and let them know :-)

-Drew

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 6:19 AM, Andrew D Lyons <tstexture at gmail.com> wrote:
> As I understood it hcustom is pretty much deprecated at this point.
>
> There are a bunch of makefiles under $HFS/toolkit/makefiles that you
> might look at as a starting point instead.
>
> Cheers
>

> 2009/1/1 Jaideep Khadilkar <iamjaideep80 at yahoo.com>:
>> Hello Everybody...
>>
>> I am trying to compile HDK Samples on Windows Xp, with Visual Studio 2008.
>> What I am doing is like this.
>> 1 . Open Houdini Shell From Houdini.
>> 2. E: (Where my sample files are)
>> 3. hcustom SOP_Star.C
>>     A scroll of compilation process is given and at the end I get error :
>>     cannot open file 'kernel32.lib'
>> So I searched kernel32.lib allover windows and found it at 3 places, 2 folders were 64 bit  versions , and the 1 which i chose was "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Lib"
>> and at shell I entered,
>> 4. hcustom -L "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Lib" SOP_Star.C
>>
>> This command compiles smoothly and gives the output
>> -out:C:/DOCUME~1/Admin/houdini9.5/dso/SOP_Star.dll
>> Creating library SOP_Star.lib and object SOP_Star.exp
>>
>> It created Sop_Star.dll file but when I start Houdini, Error is displayed like,
>> Couldn't Load SOP_Star.dll
>> This is probably because this file was intended for use with a different version of Houdini.
>>
>> Is it beacuse I am using VS 2008 ??? Do I have to use VS2005. Can't I just choose which compiler to use?? How ???
>>
>> Is there any other method for compilation??
>>
>> Regards,
>> -----iamjaideep80
>>

>>      Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Go to http://messenger.yahoo.com/invite/

Drew Whitehouse