[Sidefx-houdini-list] wires dynamic problem

guillaume at alamaison.fr guillaume at alamaison.fr
Thu Jan 15 16:18:32 EST 2009

Yes, I just found the solution :).

Only the first point of my wire was animated by hand in SOP. I added this
animation to all the points instead
of just the first one and now it works perfectly !

I found the problem because I didn't understand why the wire dynamics
worked well on previous work with some fur animations.
I realized that each fur guides sent to the DOP was moving from root to tip
points (as animation came from the copy sop
template input).

In my current work, I was copying the animation of a character hand on the
first point of a curve/wire, thinking that all the
other points will be animated by the wire solver. Good to know (for me at
least :) ) !

Cheers

Guillaume

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 11:09:32 -0800, Mark Story <mstory at xion.org> wrote:
> Hmmm ... that's odd.  I don't know if it would be a reasonable work
> around, but you can assign those attributes as a point attr and dial in
> the exact mount of stretching/bending you need along the length of the
> wire.
>
> The particular behavior you describe I've never encountered before,
> (I've done a lot of work with Wire DOPs) but am interested in what might
> be happening ... if you can't solve the problem, please post a hip file
> on one of the forums so we can take a look.
>
> Good luck!
>

> Mark
>

>> I'm working on a simple DOP wire simulation. The setup is just one curve

>> (rather long).
>> At SOP level, the root of the curve is constrained on a keyframe
>> animation.
>> In my DOP network, I'm using "Use Deforming Geometry" in the Wire
Object.