[Sidefx-houdini-list] render farms, pipelines and file systems

Moritz Moeller realritz at virtualritz.com
Mon Jan 12 12:21:36 EST 2009

Paolo Berto wrote:
> in 3Delight RenderMan you can rely on the "network cache" for
> textures, maps and archives.
> All the details are here:
>
>      http://www.3delight.com/en/uploads/docs/3delight/3delight_55.html

During my last job at a big facility in London, I wrote a cache lib that
replicates the 3Delight network cache's behavior with some extras (e.g.
# of retries). This also was exposed as a shadeop DSO in PRMan. The call
is totally transparent to the user.

e.g.:

   color foo = texture(cacheFile(textureName));

Since I wrote this in my spare time, the code is mine and I plan to make
it OSS as soon as I find the time to look over the code again and clean
it up a bit.

The lib is thread-safe and the DSO is a new RSL plugin operating on
grids. So any tests are just done once per grid and if one uses
class-based shaders, it can be limited to once per shader instance.
I think it would be /very/ easy to port this to a VEX shadeop.

Also comes with a scripting binding (tested with Python) via SWIG.

If anyone's interested to use this b4 I find the time, I'm happy to
throw a source archive your way. The lib should compile on any platform
where boost is available. It uses boost::filesystem, so it should even
work with weird windoze paths[tm].

Beers,

Moritz