[Sidefx-houdini-list] shelves - prevent writing into custom version

Robert D.M. Smith robert.dm.smith at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 10:32:33 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 1:17 AM, Peter Bowmar <pbowmar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good question, this is a real problem in Maya too apparently.

*Yeah ... it was hell on my last project when it came to using the Maya
shelves. I seem to recall that we put the shelves on the local box
(C:/temp)  ... when Maya was launched it would clean out the shelves on
local box, copy the factory & custom shelves from server to local. This
always ensured that the user was using production-blessed tools. They could
also create their own & save in home directory.*

> For a lot of config files you can add .nosave suffix that prevents
> artists from modifying the config file, hopefully that works with
> Shelves.

*A few things I have tried:

1) added .nosave suffix to the shelf in the custom location. The result was
the shelf not being read/recognized by Houdini. I would expect, as Ken noted
earlier, that this convention should apply to shelves.

2) made the custom shelf read-only. When I added a new shelf to to the shelf
set, it ended up writing the entire shelfset to my local directory - not
just a toolshelf entry! This is definitely a big problem.

Can anyone else confirm this? Anyone from SESI care to comment? Should these
be logged as a bug/rfe?

Cheers,
    Rob
*