[Sidefx-houdini-list] HOUDINI_TOOLBAR_PATH usage

antoine at floqfx.com antoine at floqfx.com
Tue Jan 6 20:28:25 EST 2009

  From your original message, I would infer that purpose of $HSITE is to simplify the access to one particular component of the HOUDINI_PATH, namely the portion that includes your home directory.
  I personally try to avoid setting any of the HOUDINI_*_PATH env vars over the general HOUDINI_PATH.  The reason being that consistency in searchpaths is very handy to predict where you can put files and have them successfully get picked up.  The downside is that the more items in the HOUDINI_PATH, the slower things can get.  (There's a new hconfig var called HOUDINI_ICON_PATH or HOUDINI_UI_PATH that is one of the few that I would set).
  But back to $HSITE: for many versions of Houdini we've now had /home/antoine/houdini9.5:/home/antoine/houdini9:/home/antoine/houdini:... in the HOUDINI_PATH.  Every new version of Houdini we have to adjust that.  It seems HSITE is to 1) make home directories OS agnostic, and 2) make it more Houdini version agnostic.

-- Antoine