[Sidefx-houdini-list] HOUDINI_TOOLBAR_PATH usage

Robert D.M. Smith robert.dm.smith at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 13:46:45 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Graham Thompson <captainhammy at gmail.com>wrote:

> Ah the ever exciting Windows.  Since I don't have much experience with it
> and setting environment variables, I would suggest trying to look at doing
> it using the houdini.env file located in your $HOME/houdini9.5 folder.
>  That
> might provide a workable alternative.

Yep, that did it. Thanks. I was even able to place a houdini.env file in the
site-wide location & make it work. For the benefit of others I did:
*     HOUDINI_TOOLBAR_PATH = $HH/toolbar;C:/temp/houdini9.5./toolbar*
I also tried:
*     HOUDINI_TOOLBAR_PATH = @/toolbar;C:/temp/houdini9.5./toolbar*

Stepping back, I see now that using this file is better than setting env
variables ... less management of machines & portable across various OS'.

This is all good information to know *however*, I discovered I really didn't
need to do all this [?] The reason is that I set the Houdini HSITE
environment variable (C:/temp) and it appears to follow the folder
conventions of Houdini but in a custom location.

So now, my question is what is the difference between HSITE & HOUDINI_PATH,
if any? Is one better than the other? I'd like to hear from other users out
there too :)

Cheers,
    Rob

P.S. to SESI please note that the usage for HSITE seems misleading. It says
"Like HOME, Houdini uses $HSITE/houdiniVERSION, where version is the current
version number (ie. $HSITE/houdini6 or $HSITE/houdini6.1)" This may confuse
users at first because they may think (like me) that you're to set the
variable to something like HSITE = C:/temp/houdini6.1 when in fact it's
simply HSITE = C:/temp