[Sidefx-houdini-list] Mac OSx network

Chip Collier photex at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 12:26:15 EST 2009

This isn't based on Houdini experience specifically, but general
experience adding OSX systems into a large-ish grid of machines used
for distributed rendering and processing.

It's completely possible to have OSX do this of course, but it's just
not as easy as Linux to get it tuned. And by not as easy I mean only a
little bit of extra work making sure needles services don't run. And
between 10.4, 10.5.2, 10.5.5 I think there were also pretty
interesting differences to how certain aspects of the system were
being run or controlled.
We used gridengine. Also be careful about the locations of 'default'
things like bash, true, etc..

But still, very good experience overall and the performance seemed to
be the same (I didn't run any hard tests, just threw it into the pool
and let jobs run).

Cheers,
Chip