[Sidefx-houdini-list] HDK And Windows

Simon Barrick simon at primalpictures.com
Fri Jan 2 03:28:01 EST 2009

This answers most questions I think.

http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/HDKFrequentlyAskedQuestions

-----Original Message-----
From: sidefx-houdini-list-bounces at sidefx.com on behalf of Michael K. O'Brien
Sent: Fri 02/01/2009 08:28
To: sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com; iamjaideep80 at yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Sidefx-houdini-list] HDK And Windows

Hola~

You have to setup a suite of custom variables for hcustom to work. They are
supposed to be variables set by the vcvars32.bat script that ships with
studio.

I found it better to re-create them to better integrate into our environment,
rather than using hcustom. However, I was able to get hcustom to work at some
point. I'll try to dig up a mail that talks about it when I get back to work.

MO

>-- On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 10:18:19AM -0800, Jaideep Khadilkar wrote:
> Hello Everybody...
>
> I am trying to compile HDK Samples on Windows Xp, with Visual Studio 2008.
> What I am doing is like this.
> 1 . Open Houdini Shell From Houdini.
> 2. E: (Where my sample files are)
> 3. hcustom SOP_Star.C
>     A scroll of compilation process is given and at the end I get error :
>     cannot open file 'kernel32.lib'
> So I searched kernel32.lib allover windows and found it at 3 places, 2 folders were 64 bit  versions , and the 1 which i chose was "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Lib"
> and at shell I entered,
> 4. hcustom -L "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Lib" SOP_Star.C
>
> This command compiles smoothly and gives the output
> -out:C:/DOCUME~1/Admin/houdini9.5/dso/SOP_Star.dll
> Creating library SOP_Star.lib and object SOP_Star.exp
>
> It created Sop_Star.dll file but when I start Houdini, Error is displayed like,
> Couldn't Load SOP_Star.dll
> This is probably because this file was intended for use with a different version of Houdini.
>
> Is it beacuse I am using VS 2008 ??? Do I have to use VS2005. Can't I just choose which compiler to use?? How ???
>
> Is there any other method for compilation??
>
> Regards,
> -----iamjaideep80
>

>       Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Go to http://messenger.yahoo.com/invite/

Michael O'Brien                                                         Tools
Pixar                                                       mobrien at pixar.com

Censorship is the mother of metaphor.
                            -Jorges Luis Borges