[Sidefx-houdini-list] HDK And Windows

Jaideep Khadilkar iamjaideep80 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 1 13:18:19 EST 2009

Hello Everybody...

I am trying to compile HDK Samples on Windows Xp, with Visual Studio 2008.
What I am doing is like this.
1 . Open Houdini Shell From Houdini.
2. E: (Where my sample files are)
3. hcustom SOP_Star.C
    A scroll of compilation process is given and at the end I get error :
    cannot open file 'kernel32.lib'
So I searched kernel32.lib allover windows and found it at 3 places, 2 folders were 64 bit  versions , and the 1 which i chose was "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Lib"
and at shell I entered,
4. hcustom -L "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Lib" SOP_Star.C

This command compiles smoothly and gives the output
-out:C:/DOCUME~1/Admin/houdini9.5/dso/SOP_Star.dll
Creating library SOP_Star.lib and object SOP_Star.exp

It created Sop_Star.dll file but when I start Houdini, Error is displayed like,
Couldn't Load SOP_Star.dll
This is probably because this file was intended for use with a different version of Houdini.

Is it beacuse I am using VS 2008 ??? Do I have to use VS2005. Can't I just choose which compiler to use?? How ???

Is there any other method for compilation??

Regards,
-----iamjaideep80