[Sidefx-houdini-list] mantra render farm service

Mark Story mstory at xion.org
Thu Feb 19 14:42:19 EST 2009

Hi Gene!

> I run a very small all-mantra shop in Toronto.  Do you have any preliminary cost-oriented figures?

Totally guessing at this point, but "I think" we're looking in the
$0.10-$0.15 per GHZ/hour range.  Don't hold me to those numbers, could
higher, or lower, really not sure.  I know this, we have to have the
farm to teach with, so we'll have it, and if it makes $$$ sense to offer
to the wider market, and it doesn't dilute our business goals, seems to
me the right thing to do.

> Instinctively, I've spent whatever budget was available to build up the biggest renderfarm I could afford, that being said, there are some projects that I had to turn down simply because I'm unable to build up a farm big enough at this stage (compute power being only one of the variables -- the others being, server bandwidth, and the ifdgen (batch) licensing costs).

Yea, one of the big concerns I have is bandwidth for IFD submissions.  I
suppose if it's not rush jobs we can accept data on other media, and it
would be ideal to keep the hbatch licenses to a minimum.  But, we're
going to do LOT of sims, much will be hbatch, but a lot will be our own
code.  So, balancing all this and make everyone happy will probably more
challenging the finding a market ... :-)

> We share an office space with a maya-based shop that uses a render service exclusively (RenderRocket -- they have NO inhouse render capability at all), and even though it's a scary proposition (from my perspective), I've been watching them work this way rather successfully.  In short, i'm curious how it would play out.

Wow ... that would be scary!

> Don't hesitate to email me off-list if have any specific questions!

Thanks!  Will do!

Mark