[Sidefx-houdini-list] mantra render farm service

Mark Story mstory at xion.org
Thu Feb 19 14:34:16 EST 2009

Howdy!

> I think lots of people would be interested, I certainly would! How do
> you think it might be structured?

Structured as in how would it all work?  The main farm will be
co-located in the USA while are main classroom will be in Vancouver.
We'll have a small on site farm (32+ cores) for immediate render/sim
submissions, for sys admin and sys programming courses, etc.  Basically
a small farm that we can reboot/config/install, etc. as needed for the
particular class being taught.

The "online" farm will be running 24/7 to accept incoming
render/simulation jobs through (what has to be) a robust & secure web
interface.  Considering that their may be a wide variety of
OTLs/DSOs/scripts, etc. that another facility other than ours may need
to be installed/tested, that would incur more sys admin time for us.  So
clearly, the easier the render job the better. Unless the client needs
help or guidance for optimization, etc., we'll have an expert staff for
students for mentoring, so could this be made available to a VFX studio.

Lots to consider.  Like I said, I've always had teaching/research
applications in mind, never really thought it through for other markets
but it might be worth trying.

Mark