[Sidefx-houdini-list] mantra render farm service

Gene Dreitser keyframe at rogers.com
Thu Feb 19 09:01:44 EST 2009

Heya Mark,

I run a very small all-mantra shop in Toronto.  Do you have any preliminary cost-oriented figures?

Instinctively, I've spent whatever budget was available to build up the biggest renderfarm I could afford, that being said, there are some projects that I had to turn down simply because I'm unable to build up a farm big enough at this stage (compute power being only one of the variables -- the others being, server bandwidth, and the ifdgen (batch) licensing costs).

We share an office space with a maya-based shop that uses a render service exclusively (RenderRocket -- they have NO inhouse render capability at all), and even though it's a scary proposition (from my perspective), I've been watching them work this way rather successfully.  In short, i'm curious how it would play out.

Don't hesitate to email me off-list if have any specific questions!

Good luck,

Gene