[Sidefx-houdini-list] mantra render farm service

Mark Story mstory at xion.org
Wed Feb 18 22:57:50 EST 2009

Hi there,

We (Digital Cinema Arts) will be opening a training center in Vancouver,
B.C. soon and as part of our teaching environment we'll be providing our
students access to a render/simulation farm, queue manager, asset
control/version manager, shot tools, etc. and our primary render engine
will be mantra, though we'll also have 3Delight and mental ray
eventually as well.

So, while in the process of flushing out our business plan, the question
has arisen a few times if it makes sense to offer mantra rendering
services to commercial/vfx clients as well.  We've always focused on
education needs but considering the changes in the economy, and the CG
biz in overall, maybe it makes sense to explore that market ... we're
clearly not sure, thus I'd like to pose the question to the general
Houdini community:

If there was a remote rendering service offering mantra, would you see a
need for that service in your business model?

Thanks!

Mark