[Sidefx-houdini-list] Delayed load sharing a material

Rangi Sutton rangi.sutton at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 22:50:08 EST 2009

2009/2/19 Louis Dunlevy <louisdunlevy at gmail.com>

> Rangi Sutton wrote:
> > 2009/2/19 Rangi Sutton <rangi.sutton at gmail.com>
> >

> >> Hey folks,
> >>
> >> So how do we do this these days? I have a bunch of .bgeo files on disk,
> >> each written out from different geometries. I can then make a material
> for
> >> each of them with a mantra delayed load in them, and point them
> individually
> >> to their respective .bgeos.
> >>
> >> But then I have to manage a whole bunch of materials. Given that they
> >> nearly all want the same parms, I'd love to be able to put some
> expression
> >> in the delayed load that was based on the name of the object the
> material is
> >> /applied/ to..
> >>
> >> Or is there a different way around this?
> >>

> > Update... I've got something success using the Procedural Shader
> parameter
> > on the actual object to reference a delayed load that's embedded inside
> > each. So stuffs working, but there's probably another way?
> >
> > Beers,
> > r.
> >

> You can use the local override on the material sop node with "Overrides
> use local variables" turned on. You're then free to put
> /blah/file.$PT.bgeo or something in there. Use that to override the file
> parameter of a mantra delayed load shader which you must promote to be a
> parameter of your material too..

Sweet... think we'll stick to current solution since it works now, but this
gives me good ideas for other things. We're adding materials at object
level, with empty objects, so I hadnt' had a proper gawk at the Material
Sop. Looks like I should be able to just add a material as a detail
attribute to get these overrides attached. Handy stuff.

Nice having you in the same timezone Louis ...

r.