[Sidefx-houdini-list] UVs on Mettaballs?

Louis Dunlevy louisdunlevy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 21:45:14 EST 2009

off the top of my fuzzy head..

metaballs are procedural surfaces so the geometry always changes at
render time. There's a number of ways of dealing with the projection..

You could try a rest position sop which will give you a static position
for the centre of each metaball. The centre only mind, not the actual
surface. In your shader, use some tricks like subtracting that info from
P (transform both to object/world space btw) to try to get yourself some
relatively static metaball geometry.

You could just play around with transforms in vops to roll your own
projection perhaps... stick x and y into s and t

Or convert to polys and go mad in poly world.. :-[

I'm sure someone will have a better idea though!