[Sidefx-houdini-list] Modeling questions

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 10:26:20 EST 2009

Jeje we continue the historic discussion about Modelling in Houdini.
Well I think that Nicholas has explained it really well, and as him, I also
think that houdini also needs a tool a more advanced and flexible than the
current editSOP.
I understand to all the people who thinks that SESI shoudn't waste time on
this, but the  thing is that almost all the tools are there ,they only needs
to be mor intuitive/linera some times.
For instance the editSOP is like a transform/sculpt in the same tool. Take
it further add all the features from the soft Transform, blast, polySplit,
poleBevel, polyExtrude and subdivide (maybe I forget some), in the same
tool.
Make it intuitive and easy to change between all of them but witout leaving
ythe edit tool and you are done. All the tools are already coded, you need
to find a way to put all together in an easy and intuitive way for the final
user.
At the end you get the linear way of  working reusing your procedural tools.
For tools like Knife that can be replaced by the ckipSOP with some
predefined settings, there are many modelling tools from other packages you
can replicate in Houdini using some nodes, you can use the shelf to craete a
set of modelling tool more familiar to modellers and just using your current
operators with some predefined settings, this is the power of having general
tools under the hood that can be drived by scripts.
My another 2 cents

2009/2/18 Nicholas Pliatsikas <nick_p102 at hotmail.com>

> To be honest, ive modelled in lightwave/modo/maya/3dsmax/nendo/wings3d and
> houdini. As an artists modelling tool houdini is terrible, its really isnt
> intuitive in anyway and does get in your way from an artistic point of view.
> But in procedural sense a techinical artists can make the most of houdini,
> generating tools todo general modelling tasks that would take alot of effort
> to build by hand or too script.
>
> From HDAs that can create custom tanks or buildings to a simple window
> generator or broken wall tool you cant beat houdini. But as soon as you get
> down to pure modelling in any artistic way it falls over.
>
> I would vote for a special modelling environment within houdni, such as a
> modelSop node. When you dive into it you can model and paint in an artistic
> and non historic way(apart from an undo of course), giving you access to
> good quality polymodelling tools while mainting any custom houdini
> attributes.
>
> Straight organic modelling doesnt need a history, how many people build a
> head add the nose eyes etc then think oh damn i wish i had my history stack
> so i could change the resolution of my intial box mesh... but that would
> destroy your mesh further down the line most of the time procedural
> modelling isnt needed. Unless your model will need the abilty to edit
> specific elements in an HDA, we could easily use some sort of modelling node
> that means people dont always have to revert to exporting objs to there
> favourite modelling package.
>
> The way houdini models is one of the reasons why many artists stay away
> from it as an artists/illustrative tool which i think is shame as it has so
> many great aspects that can help them get on with there work.
>
> Just my two pennies ;¬)
>

> > Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:46:13 +0100
> > From: ben.schrijvers at guerrilla-games.com
> > To: sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
> > Subject: Re: [Sidefx-houdini-list] Modeling questions
> >
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I recognize a lot in Garman's email :-)
> >
> > Models in Houdini are quite often not only the shape but have important
> > attributes.
> > Or the topology could be important for example the point order could be
> > part of an animation set up.
> > All part of modeling if you would ask me... which is where the
> > difficulty lies.
> > The definition of modeling is different for everybody.
> > People used to Houdini often find that the definition other people use
> > quite limited.
> > People used to other tools might miss certain features in Houdini that
> > would speed up their workflow.
> >
> > I would vote for SESI not to invest too much in innovating interactive
> > modeling.
> > Let other software company's do that and "borrow" new idea's that are
> good.
> >
> > Problem and power of Houdini is that it has very generic tools.
> > Like the Clip Sop. Sure you can turn that into a knife.
> [...]

Un saludo
Best Regards
Pablo Giménez