[Sidefx-houdini-list] Modeling questions

Nicholas Pliatsikas nick_p102 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 18 08:51:15 EST 2009

To be honest, ive modelled in lightwave/modo/maya/3dsmax/nendo/wings3d and houdini. As an artists modelling tool houdini is terrible, its really isnt intuitive in anyway and does get in your way from an artistic point of view. But in procedural sense a techinical artists can make the most of houdini, generating tools todo general modelling tasks that would take alot of effort to build by hand or too script.

>From HDAs that can create custom tanks or buildings to a simple window generator or broken wall tool you cant beat houdini. But as soon as you get down to pure modelling in any artistic way it falls over.

I would vote for a special modelling environment within houdni, such as a modelSop node. When you dive into it you can model and paint in an artistic and non historic way(apart from an undo of course), giving you access to good quality polymodelling tools while mainting any custom houdini attributes.

Straight organic modelling doesnt need a history, how many people build a head add the nose eyes etc then think oh damn i wish i had my history stack so i could change the resolution of my intial box mesh... but that would destroy your mesh further down the line most of the time procedural modelling isnt needed. Unless your model will need the abilty to edit specific elements in an HDA, we could easily use some sort of modelling node that means people dont always have to revert to exporting objs to there favourite modelling package.

The way houdini models is one of the reasons why many artists stay away from it as an artists/illustrative tool which i think is shame as it has so many great aspects that can help them get on with there work.

Just my two pennies ;¬)