[Sidefx-houdini-list] Modeling questions

Ben Schrijvers ben.schrijvers at guerrilla-games.com
Wed Feb 18 04:46:13 EST 2009

Hi there,

I recognize a lot in Garman's email :-)

Models in Houdini are quite often not only the shape but have important
attributes.
Or the topology could be important for example the point order could be
part of an animation set up.
All part of modeling if you would ask me... which is where the
difficulty lies.
The definition of modeling is different for everybody.
People used to Houdini often find that the definition other people use
quite limited.
People used to other tools might miss certain features in Houdini that
would speed up their workflow.

I would vote for SESI not to invest too much in innovating interactive
modeling.
Let other software company's do that and "borrow" new idea's that are good.

Problem and power of Houdini is that it has very generic tools.
Like the Clip Sop. Sure you can turn that into a knife.
I now use the Clip Sop to clip at a certain value of an attribute in my
geomerty.
I geuss I can paint that value interactive as well...
So it means SESI needs to try and translate a feature request into
something generic.
Which I think they did very well in the past.

cheers,
benS