[Sidefx-houdini-list] Modeling questions

Garman Lists garman_lists at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 17 21:37:06 EST 2009

Well... hum...  You don't get around much do you?

There are many many things so easy to model in Houdini it's pointless to
do in another package.  Of course, you need to model the right kinds of
things.

When I've worked on effects at DD I often have to remodel the geometry I
get before I can do the effects with them.  Most times modelers don't
think (naturally) about how to best model the object so we can destruct
it.  Because they don't really know what we need to do.  So I often use
Houdini to remodel the object, sure, often using the original as much as
I can.

One example was on Stealth to get the rain flowing over the surface of
the jet.  The original surface was too complex and not really valid for
collisions and sliding particles.  So I projected (ray'ed) a surface on
to the maya (?) model to get the best effects model.

For other kinds of models which Houdini isn't that great at, I go for
the "right brain" software like Modo.

I tell my studnets to make lists of object which can best be modeled
procedurally and go from there.  In a way, I hope that SESI does not
concentrate on modeling tools as using Modo or something other is great
for those kinds of models.

:)