[Sidefx-houdini-list] Animated wires in DOPs question

Selçuk Ergen ergensel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 07:36:07 EST 2009

Hi Phil,

I think Guillaume has a point,
Since the L-System has a changing point count, its not possible to read it
as an animated obj - as far as I know.
I had the same problem and I ended up keeping the point count same at each
frame and then feeding it as a wire object

cheers,
selcuk

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:18 PM, guillaume laforge
<guillaume at alamaison.fr>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure to understand your question. You can use the animation
> from a curve in a DOP network. For example you can pin constrain some
> points and keep their sop animation.
> However, as you use some L-System, I guess your point count is
> changing each frame ? If so, I don't know if the wire solver can deal
> with it.
>
> Cheers
>

> --
> Guillaume Laforge
> 3d Technical Director
> http://www.alamaison.fr
>

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Phil Spicer <PSpicer at bournemouth.ac.uk>
> wrote:
> >
> >  Hi,
> >
> > Is it possible to pass an animated wire into DOPs?
> >
> > I have tried passing a preset 'Lightening' L-System into DOPs as a Wire
> Object but it doesn't register the animation even when the  'Use Deforming
> Geometry' option is checked. It does read in the animation if I read the
> L-System in as a RBD Object though...
> >
> > Any thoughts? Is it better to create an animated wire using the SOP
> Solver?
> >

> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Phil.
> >
> > Philip Spicer
> > Programme Leader - MA Digital Effects
> > National Centre for Computer Animation
> > Bournemouth University - UK
> >
> > http://uk.youtube.com/user/NCCADigitalFX
> >

> > The UK's no. 1 new university
> > The Guardian University Guide 2009
> >
> > This email is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed and
> may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in
> error, please notify the sender and delete this email, which must not be
> copied, distributed or disclosed to any other person.
> > Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not
> necessarily represent those of Bournemouth University or its subsidiary
> companies. Nor can any contract be formed on behalf of the University or its
> subsidiary companies via email.

Selçuk ERGEN